Tuesday, September 8, 2009


NOTE: This is for journaling purposes and if you don't want to read - feel free to skip.

We have had a pretty crazy past 10 days. It started out with our ward's Emergency Preparedness Fair. It was a huge success. I was put in charge, with my friend Joy, of the Family Home Storage Booth. We had a #10 canner on display along with bottling and freezing supplies, a one month supply of food and non-food items, and a tasters table. We served Boston Baked Whole Wheat, Black Beans, Red Beans, Roasted Wheat Kernels and Powdered Milk. All stuff you can make from your home food storage. All was very tasty...many were surprised. I believe the estimate was about 250 people showed up from the community - including the Mayor!! So, we were very excited. They had many other booths, the red cross, poison control, insurance agents, 72-hour kits for people and pets, emergency communication (with a high frequency radio up and running) the fire department and police department, flu protection booth, power tool safety, dutch oven cooking and camping. All and all, it was a success.

However, I think we over did it. The next day, I felt like I had been hit by a semi-truck. The girls and I came home from church early and I slept the better part of the rest of the day. Then, you know what happened on the next day - EGGS!!! - Yeah, don't remind me!

I was feeling a little better - at least had more energy. I had a Doctor's appointment on Thursday about my Achilles Tendon. I thought I had injured it running - I was right. In fact, the doctor was impressed with how well I had pulled it and thought it was near being ruptured. So - I was put in a walking boot for 2 weeks - to "immobilize" my leg. (right!) It seems to be working and giving my muscle a chance to relax and heal.

Friday we were able to leave the girls and attend the ward temple trip. We drove 3 hours to the Columbia, SC temple. Attended a session and then drove 3 hours home. It was a GREAT trip - we had the van full of wonderful sisters! All I have to say is, "TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE TEMPLE IF YOU LIVE CLOSE!" I can't believe we used to only be 20 minutes from 2 temples!! WOW. We were spoiled. We had a great time and the girls had fun with their friends as well.

Saturday, little Ali woke up and looked paler than a ghost. She didn't want any food and NO milk. Oh no - this is not my little Al! She sat on my lap all morning, completely drained of any energy. She fell asleep at about 11:30 and woke up at 3:00. She finally had a drink of milk and some juice and then threw-up it all up. She had diarrhea and no appetite for 3 days. We gave her a blessing Sunday night and she started eating again Monday afternoon.

Don't worry - we're only half way through. Sunday night, WITHOUT warning....Andie begins throwing up, and throwing up and throwing up! YEP....EVERYWHERE, all over my newly cleaned carpet. Poor girl threw up 6 times Sunday night and finally at 2:00am was able to sleep the rest of the night. We gave her a blessing on Sunday as well. She didn't eat anything Monday and this morning ate breakfast. However, she was very sad and looked so tired all morning long. I noticed her holding her ear and turning her head if she laid on that side. So, I called the doctor, got her in and guess what. She has an ear infection. I think it's only the 2nd one she has ever had. Did I mention she has been sick with me all last week with the head cold, congestion and runny nose. (I know, it doesn't make sense, but it's true). The poor girls has caught EVERYTHING someone has had. However, we are finally on antibiotics and hopefully she is on the mend.

Finally, our beloved husband and father Shawn has been a GREAT support though all of this. He has stepped in, helped out tremendously, and been wonderful. But the inevitable has happened. He woke up early this morning with the stomach bug - missed school and has been in bed most of the day. Poor Guy.

Needless to say - we are happy and really, hope to be on the mend. We HAVE to be. I have enrichment this Thursday and can't afford to take any more sick days!! We want to get back to our regular crazy life!!! We can't wait!

Andie enjoys sitting on the filing cabinet and uses the computer speaker to call people. I have asked who she is calling and most always she says, "Grandma, Grandpa on mission in Russia." She also likes to talk to Abbey and Megan. Her conversations usually include, "Hi! How are you? Good...Fine...Yes...Ok...bye!" I guess that is what she hears me say.
We miss being able to play with our friends. We had started a little princess preschool/play group with 5 of Andie's friends. We have only been together twice - but hope that everyone can be healthy this week to play again!


Andee said...

Sorry to hear about the kids and hubby being sick. That is the pits! Hopefully life will calm down a little soon :)

Sharron said...

Wow, and some say that staying home, raising kids is boring! If they only knew! Hope Shawn does get all better soon, you've earned it!

Pratt Fam said...

Double Wow! Sorry Molly!

sdbroder said...

Shawn is better today and is having fun at school. Thanks for the well wishes everyone and the kind remarks, Molly.

Pratt Family said...

Sure hope the nasty sick bug has left your home. That's horrible everyone got it. Sorry to hear about your Achilles tendon, thankful and hopefully you only have to wear that stylish boot for 2 weeks. It's a good thing it didn't rupture, how painful! Cute idea about princess play group!